Skip to main content

A POSSESSION



The name Jerusha is first mentioned in 2 Kings 15:33 In the Old Testament.  Translated from the ancient Hebrew it means “possession” or “possessed”.  Jerusha was the wife of Uzziah and the mother of King Jotham of Judah.[1] I admit that I skimmed over that name in reading the Bible, but I took notice when I encountered the name in several generations of my husband’s family tree.

The first instance I have documented is Jerusha Ann Dening (or Dining) born abt. 1807 in Ireland or England.  She married George Hicinbothem sometime before 1836.  Their daughter Martha was born in 1839.  Martha married John Prentiss Mattoon, a neighbor in Clackamas County, Oregon, in 1858[2], and their daughter Anna Jerusha Mattoon was born in 1859. Did Martha know her grandmother?

Anna Jerusha Mattoon was educated in Portland, Oregon and returned to Yakima, Washington to teach school and music lessons, and serve as the first Secretary and organist of the Congregational Church. I don’t think she would have appreciated being referred to as a possession.  In 1893, Anna married George Henry Watt, a Professor of Pharmacy at Washington State College.  Sadly, she died just two years later in 1895.[3]

George Henry Watt continued as Professor of Pharmacy at WSC until his death in 1929.  Amazingly, this is where the Mattoon family tree and my maternal line cross for the first time.  My mother, Margueritte Howell Boye, graduated from the Washington State University College of Pharmacy in 1927.  I remember her talking about Professor Watt.  Who would have thought that I would meet and marry Anna Jerusha Mattoon’s great-nephew, Loren Mattoon, at Washington State University, nearly 65 years after her death.



[1] Orr, James, M.A., D.D. General Editor. "Entry for 'JERUSHA'". "International Standard Bible Encyclopedia". 1915.  
[2] Mays, Theo., editor “100 Years—100 Women”:Yakima County Washington.Yakima, Washington:Print Masters, 1989, 27-28.
[3] Mays, Theo., editor “100 Years—100 Women”:Yakima County Washington.Yakima, Washington:Print Masters, 1989, 53-54.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PIONEER CHALLENGES

  PIONEER CHALLENGES My Great Grandmother, Olea Larsen, overcame challenges in her life that I cannot even begin to imagine myself doing. The first one that I know of was giving birth in steerage on the Brig Atalanta on 19 July 1865. Andrew A.P. Larsen, his wife Olea (Ollie on the Passenger List), and their children Albertine, age 4, and Carl Rudolph, age 11 months, set sail from Christiania (now Oslo), Norway on 7 May 1865 with 114 other adults and 46 other children. 1 Caroline Emelia Larsen was born "at sea" on 19 July. The ship arrived in Québec, Que. on 25 July with now 49 children. Caroline was not listed on the Passenger List, so perhaps other children were born on that voyage as well. It was not unusual for women to give birth on the emigrant ships. Most emigrants sailed in "steerage", between decks. A passenger on the Atalanta in 1871` told...

ORILLA AND ROSILLA MATTOON

 On February 22, 1845, twin daughters, Orilla and Rosilla, were born to Abel Mattoon and Sarah Lewis Mattoon in LaGrange County, Indiana. Abel was farming there, possibly with his father Philip, and brothers. Philip died in 1846, and the following March most of his nine adult children left LaGrange County to travel to Oregon.  Abel and Sarah traveled with five children: John Prentiss age 14, Malinda age 8, Oliver Perry age 6, William Henry age 4, and the two-year-old twins, Orilla and Rosilla. Probably John Prentiss helped his father drive the ox teams pulling their wagons and Malinda helped her mother with the younger children.  The family arrived in Oregon City in October. Abel received a land claim by 1849, in an area that came to be known as Hardens Precinct of Clackamas County. His brothers and sisters and their families settled nearby. Probably Orilla and Rosilla had plenty of opportunities to visit with aunts, uncles, and cousins. In 1860, Orilla was enumerated in ...

SLIG 2024

                                   I spent the fourth week of January 2024 at the Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy virtual institute as the "Hive Minder" for Exploring Their Life/The Social History of Your Family. The week-long   course was coordinated by Gena Philibert-Ortega,, who presented many of the sessions, but there were other speakers as well. In the past, I have attended SLIG Institutes as a student. Acting as "Hive Minder" gives the course a different perspective. I was responsible for opening the room each morning, and reopening  it after each break, admitting participants, starting and stopping the recording of the sessions (the most stressful responsibility for me), making speakers co-hosts enabling them to share their screens, taking attendance, and making announcements. I quickly learned who would be late for each session and who used a name different from that on my roste...